the five people you meet in heaven


I have to comment on it. Not so much of comments actually. More of an introduction of a book, the second book in my life so far that has managed to bring tears to my eyes.
the five people you meet in heaven
I am sure many of us think about heaven. Life after death. More Heavens. And paradise. I am sure none of us have the guts to really say they understand what heaven is, and how it looks like. Nobody's sure. Nobody even knows the answer. And the ones who might know cannot even tell you because they are "away". And that's how I found myself reading this book yesterday.

There are two reasons why I chose this book yesterday. First being many have read it and thought it good, the other being the reason I stated earlier. Moreover, I found myself truly engrossed in the book, an experience that has eluded me ever since I started tertiary education; an irony being the demands of my course. It's rare to see me reading books nowadays. It's even more uncommonly rare to see me reading a book without putting it down, in front of so many bystanders and walking shoppers in a shopping mall.

Books have always impressed me. The feeling they create in you, the imaginations they bring you, and the joy they realize in you once you know you guess the wrong ending is suffice in binding you in the depth of their pages. More importantly, they allow questions without real answers, mystifyingly holding you a captive, introducing characters to you but never really telling you how they happen to be in there. With every turn of a page, you realize you long to read more of what's coming and thus create an insurpassable attraction between you and thee. The heavy breathing that accompanies you when you feel you thirst for water and the utter obedience in acknowledging the will and the masterful craftsmanship of the creator tear at you in opposites, more oftenly to the very remote part of your body until you feel both your thirst quenched and your insatiable hunger for the revealing satisfied.

This book gives you just that. It is the embodiment of reality and reveries, of fiction and real solid world. It's about the common becoming uncommon, it is about the insignificants being significant.

the five people you meet in heaven gives you no answers. It also gives you no time to think. At every comma and full stop you will only be allowed a deep take-in of fresh air, while your eyes, though lifted for a moment, are surreal and mirroring nothing and will soon be so transparent they reflect everything and hide nothing.

The beauty of the book comes not from how the story is told. It comes from the mere retelling of a story that starts with an ending. A fairly common story of stories that are vibrant with sad joy and unexpected expectations, an incomplete version of the world God created in us, with us and through us.

Tears will prove me right once you finish reading the book. And lots of thinking that follow.

Comments

toPher said…
Bro, you gotta pinjam me the book lar..
I saw the movie on hallmark...
I bet the book is better though..
=)
Kevin said…
Haha..sure thing! It's 5 outta 5 star for this book!

Popular posts from this blog

Disappointments

Innocence